Re: [TowerTalk] Connecting limit switches on a tower winch

To: Dan <dandiy@consolidated.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Connecting limit switches on a tower winch
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 17:50:53 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
It's pretty easy, but tricky to explain in words.

I'll explain for a DC motor first..

THe switches are mounted and connected so they are normally closed, and when
you hit the limit, they OPEN, interrupting current flow.

Say that positive goes UP and negative goes DOWN.  You put the limit switches
in with a diode across it. the switch at the TOP (limiting UP travel) has the
diode across it so that when the voltage applied to the motor is negative, the
diode carries the current. Even if the switch is open, the motor can still move
DOWN.
The DOWN limit switch is wired with the diode the other way.

You can also wire the limit switches in parallel with the diode in series.  The
diode that is forward biased when going up is in series with the UP limit, and
the one that is forward biased when going down is in series with the DOWN limit.

For reversible AC motors, it depends on how you're doing the reversing and what
kind of motor it is. Typically, it requires a DPDT reversing switch (instead of
the usual SPDT) and hooking the limit switch in series when going the
appropriate direction.