Re: [TowerTalk] Used pre-forms

To: towertalk@contesting.com, jperalta4@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Used pre-forms
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 10:00:12 EDT

In a message dated 6/1/2008 3:35:04 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  What is the thinking of the group about used pre-forms? I  have over a
hundred 5/16" pre-forms that I removed from a tower that had  only been up
for a few years. Most of the coating on the inside of the  pre-forms seems to
be intact and the wires are in very good shape.

         You can remove a  PreFormed grip twice but it has to be within a
month or so of original  installation. (I couldn't find the exact spec on the
PreFormed website but  that's the general idea.) So you shouldn't re-use those
PreForms.

        Something like 40% of the  gripping power of the PreForms comes from
the grit inside the twists. Over time  and removal, too much of that grit
comes off so it's not suitable for re-use.  Maybe they're worth something to
your
local metal recycler.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC