Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-400 LMR-600 Equivalent (and stuff)

To: James Wolf <jbwolf@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-400 LMR-600 Equivalent (and stuff)
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 01:03:11 -0400
James Wolf wrote:

> in
> the process.  I've had customers help me with installs and pull too hard on
> the cable not giving me time to straighten it out before it hits something
> and kinks.  Not at all as critical as coax is.  It's great stuff to work
> with compared to coax.
>
> Also, check out these tools if you are working with cat 5.  Makes life a LOT
>
> easier!
> http://www.telephoneparts.com/product/EZRJ45?gclid=CI29_YnX2JMCFR4sagod7jJ4Y
> You have to have the special crimper to use those.  Makes perfect
> connections every single time though!  Very nice stuff.
>
> For a stripper I've not found anything easier or more cost effective than:
> http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102881&cp=2032058.203
> 2236.2032310&parentPage=family

First:  Thanks for those pointers. I forgot to say so before.

> ________________
>
> Acckkk.  Using CAT 5 at 100 MHz might be OK for a sloppy job.  However, if
> you use it at 1 GHz speeds, a kink will cause dramatical "bumps".  If you
> are even thinking about a 1 GHz run, you should be using Cat 6 or the newer
> CAT 7, if it's available.  With Cat 5, you might be really lucky if you can
> get a full GHz speed on a run over 20 ft if the cable is in good shape.
> It's best to treat it like your running fiber, no sharp bends.

I run from the switch down through the floor, then through conduit
across the basement ceiling, through the wall into the garage, up the
wall, sweep l, across the ceiling, sweep L, down the wall, junction box,
through the wall, junction box, down to sweep L, underground to the
shop, sweep L, junction box, through the wall, junction box, and finally
up the wall through conduit to an outlet box. Overall run is about 130 -
140 feet. It is running, measured at 1 Gig plus a tad.  I didn't really
expect consumer grade D-Link, LinkSys, and whatever a couple of boards
use for their built in NICs. (ASUS and MSI). With over 8 Terabytes on
the network and nightly backups running several hundred Gig I still find
it slow at one gig. Complete backups seem to take forever which is why
I'm getting rid of the USB3 external drives and going eSATA. I keep data
on one set of externals and at least two computers back up to one
serving as a mirror with rolling backups to DVDs.  Even then I find the
weak link to be the operator. Unfortunately at work I could chew some
one out, here I have to grin and bear the frustration.<:-))  St least so
far I've never lost all the basic programming on a radio.  Although
changing the memory module in an Icom 745 was almost traumatic, but I
made it without losing voltage.

Yes, I'd much rater have the foam filled but this was free and finding
CAT6 (which I believe is the same as CAT5, but foam filled) didn't
produce results back then. Idealy I'd like run it to the tower junction
box and into the house underground with all those other cables, but that
might be pushing my luck a bit far. <:-0)  So far this has worked well
for well for nearly two years (or is it 3?). Of course when I ran 5 LMR
400 (4 at legal limit), 3 RG-6 (for TV) 1 rotator cable, and two control
cables for remote antenna switches in the same conduit I head lots of,
"it'll never work", but its been "nary a problem"  Even the remote
preamps at 90 feet with the tribander at 100, 7L 6 meter yagi at 115,
and the 144/440 array at 130 running up to 1,200 PEP on 144 I've had no
problems. (all the cables run up the tower together.) The preamps don't
last long, but I think that has a lot to do with the frequency the tower
gets hit by lightning. <:-))144 pointed South with the power near "tilt"
will cause some problems with the analog signal on channel 12. So far,
nothing with digital.

Which reminds me, any one know what I might coat the jacket on LMR-600UF
to increase the life time. I really don't want to be replacing it every
8 to 10 years.  I know, I should have used Bury Flex and I am ordering
some to use for 50 MHz and below for the top runs (antennas to rotator
loops to top bulkhead connectors.) It's regular LMR 600 for all lines
down the side of the tower between the top and bottom bulkhead
connectors and from there into the den and shop.

Any one want to pay an outlandish price for a 190 MPH Debonair so I can
affordably finish up the antenna system?  <:-))
At 14 gallons an hour at well over $5.00 each it no costs me more for
gas then the total cost of flying the same plane ran over 15 years ago.
For that matter, over 5 years ago. OTOH it's like a member of the family
and I have nearly a year to go before I can qualify to try to get my
medical back.

73

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com