Re: [TowerTalk] Shortening an M2 6M5-X

To: "Dennis W0JX" <w0jx@yahoo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shortening an M2 6M5-X
From: "W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 07:23:51 -0700
I have an EZNEC model for the 6M5X, which I copied from a YO model.  With
all 5 elements the freespace gain is 11.6 dBi and F/R is 22 dB.  Removing
the 3 director changes the gain to 10.5 dBi and the F/R to 10 dB.  The feed
point impedance is also cut in half, so you may have trouble adjusting the
T-Match for good SWR.

I played around with the placement of director 2 to see if I could get a
better match.  If you remove the 3rd director and move the 2nd director 16"
closer to the first director (no change in element length), the gain is 10.2
dBi, the F/R is 19 dBi and, according to the model, the feedpoint impedance
is very close to the original 5 element design.  To do this you will only
have to drill one extra hole in the boom to relocate director 2.  When field
day is over you can move director 2 back to it's original mounting hole and
the beam will be as good as new.

Hope this helps and have fun on Field Day.

73,
Clay  W7CE