Re: [TowerTalk] Vert. 1/2 wave dipole vs Hori. 1/2 wave dipole?

To: "fraz1" <fraz1@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vert. 1/2 wave dipole vs Hori. 1/2 wave dipole?
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:46:30 -0700 (PDT)
I've done a lot of comparison testing.  First of all, a half wave
vertical is not very much different in performance from a quarter
wave vertical.  And a half wave vertical fed at the bottom is
very little different than the same half wave fed as a "vertical
dipole" in the center.  Having said that, the comparison comes
down to vertical vs horizontal.  On 40M, at my QTH with high ground
conductivity, a vertical is indistinguishable from any dipole up
to a wavelength high.  (Except for local signals which are much
better on any dipole).  Others have reported different results.
On 20M, at times a vertical will beat a dipole and other times the
dipole will beat the vertical.  There does not seem to be a clear
cut winner in the long run.  If you can only have one, then
put up whatever is the easiest for your situation.  A really high
dipole on 20M will be much better than a vertical on the ground
when propagation favors low angles, when the stack owners switch
to their top Yagi.  I observed this with a dipole at 110 feet.
But this is not the usual case.

One other disclaimer:  I am assuming the vertical dipole is near
the ground.  Mounting a vertical on a tower doesn't work very
well if you model it.  I've never tried a vertical at a significant
height.

Note that on receive, a dipole is nearly always quieter than a
vertical on 40M.  This doesn't seem to be as much of an issue
on 20M.

Rick N6RK