Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete footing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete footing
From: "Mike Short" <mike.short@mchsi.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:58:32 -0500
John,

The first question is what does the city you live in require to put up a
tower?
Do you need a building permit? Inspections? If so, the answers you need will
be provided
By the tower manufacturer and a licensed PE.

A guyed tower does not need a base that is as substantial as an unguyed one.
The guy wires are what keeps it
upright, and the base keeps the bottom of the tower in one spot, and from
sinking in the ground.  If you are putting up a crank-up tower
You will need a substantial base even with guys, to support the tower while
it is being raised and lowered.

Since you have soft ground, what about your anchor points? They will need to
be pretty stout to compensate for the lack of base.

I live on the coast in FL, and my soil here is sandy and very soft. I feel
your pain. I am putting up about 30ft, and have the same issues.

Mike
AI4NS

Checked by AVG.
6:02 PM