Re: [TowerTalk] g-800 problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] g-800 problem
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:19:45 +0000
That is a common problem with the fancy g800-2800 series control boxes.  If
the indicator freezes or starts to track very slowly unplug it as soon as
possible or you will burn up the two resistors.  The problem is the
indicator drive motor, the commutator segments are too soft and after a
while the gaps between them get shorted.  If you are good with a dental pick
you can open the motor up from the back and scrape it out to get another
year or so, but eventually it will have to be replaced... that takes more
disassembly, but after you have done a couple it only takes about half an
hour if you are organized, 2 hours or more if you mix up the hardware and
have to take it apart a couple times to get it right.  basic instructions
are on my web site tech reference section.  Note that some of the boxes are
slightly different, one of the last ones I did had a screw under one of the
boards that I don't remember from older ones.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net