[TowerTalk] Coaxial stub filters

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coaxial stub filters
From: Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:50:06 -0700 (PDT)
List members:
I am trying to make reduce interstation interference for our Field Day
operation by utilizing quarter-wave coaxial stubs. I made a 40 meter stub and
put it at the output of a TS-850 which was feeding a 20 meter ground plane. The
stub reduced 40 meter signal response considerably and had no effect on the
rig's SWR indicator or the antenna match.

The 40 meter stub reduced the interference caused by the 40 meter transmitter
but not significantly. So I put a 20 meter quarter-wave stub on the back of my
1000MP. That did seem to cut down on the 20 meter transmitter noise but the SWR
at the output of the MP jumped dramatically. Is this normal? Obviously the 20
meter stub must be putting a considerable loading or reactance on the output of
the rig.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

73, Dennis W0JX/8