Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum tarnish removal

To: "Tower Talk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum tarnish removal
From: "Charlie, W0YG" <charlie.w0yg@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 12:49:49 +0000
I am aware of two products for removing the tarnish from aluminum parts
including antennas.  One is Aluminator which is a non-fluoride aluminum
brightner and oxide remover.  I have not tried this chemical but anything
that is spray on and rinse off, provide it does not pollute, is something I
go for.

The other is a chemical that Tom Schiller recommended to me to refurbish our
DXpedition antennas after a trip.  It is called H-310 but I have lost my
notes on this.  It is highly toxic and rubber gloves are required.  I used a
PVC pipe with an end cap to dip the element pieces in.  This works!  The
downside is they only sell in case lots and it is expensive not to mention
freight charges.  I believe the company is located in northern California
around Palo Alto but my memory fails me.  Perhaps a Google trip would expose
who manufactures this aluminum etcher.

Hope this helps.  As I said, anything to cut down on elbow grease!

73,

Charlie, W0YG..>>