Re: [TowerTalk] tower takedown

To: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower takedown
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:54:51 -0400
<snip>

> There is a body of opinion which says, once you have the two sections
> vertical and lashed, just
> pull it over, and don't risk yourselves.   A large part of me
> concurs, although I think that will put more
> stress on the  "unobtanium hinge".

I wouldn't do anything to stress that hinge, nor would I want one that
had been "dumped over".
Dropping one even 30 feet can put a lot of stress on it that may not
even show.
> If the hinge survives,  I'll be happy.   I have more 25G to replace
> the old or damaged sections with.

Generally you can rent a bucket truck for far less than the value of
that hinge even if you have to pay for being trained or hire someone to
operate it.
Working off the back of the truck (not the side) it should easily handle
the weight of the what you have, particularly after removing the antenna
and top two sections.

Another approach might be to put up a guyed raising fixture and use it
either as a straight raising fixture as I do my 40 footer with AV640 ,
or as a falling derrick.
With just the raising fixture and 2:1 mechanical advantage I can raise
and lower the 40 footer by myself.

I say this as I'd hate to see that hinge ruined. OTOH never compromise
safety to save equipment no mater how valuable.

> Thanks, again, to all who ventured an opinion, suggestions, and caution.
>
> And, before you remind me what happens after 45 degrees, I know.
It only starts at 45 degrees <:-)) and grows from there.

> I've dropped 100' of 25g this
> way, without a problem.    Although, the guy in the truck said it was
> an exciting ride, once the mass of
> the tower took over, and started dragging the truck.   The mere 30'

At my age (68) I can still lift 3 sections of 25G by my self.

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)