Re: [TowerTalk] tower restrictions

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower restrictions
From: "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:42:37 -0700
And what if you put up a tower without a permit and a bunch of
neighbors complain until the city comes and tells you that your tower
is not permitted because it is an accessory structure and must conform
with the regulations that cover other accessory structures OR they say
that your amateur radio tower is a "telecommunication tower" (just
like a cell phone tower) and you need a special use permit.  If the
zoning ordinance does not explicitly allow for ham towers, then it is
easy for the city to "creatively interpret" their zoning ordinance to
say that your ham tower is covered by some other more general
regulation like the regulations for "accessory structures".

I know people put up towers without permits all the time and most of
them get away with it.  I had a small one up even in the People's
Republic of San Jose, Ca. for a couple of years, but it's a risk.  I
was willing to take the risk when my tower only cost me $1000, but I
wasn't willing to take the risk when I moved to a new city and put up
a 55' crankup that cost me closer to $10,000 (including installation).
 My tower wasn't up for 24 hours before the neighbor across the street
called the city to complain and then the neighbor next door called my
home and left a voice message saying "take that thing down".  Without
a permit, my goose would have been cooked.  In the end, the city told
the neighbors that I had followed the zoning ordinance to a tee and it
was completely legal.  There was no room for interpretation.  The
zoning ordinance was very clear and I followed every last bit of it.
In fact, the building inspector told a friend of mine that my permit
application was one of the most professional and well done he had ever
seen.