Re: [TowerTalk] guying question

To: Gregg Seidl <k9kl@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] guying question
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:16:18 -0400
Gregg Seidl wrote:
> This is something kinda new to me.I'm going to use a torque bracket for the
> top most guy set on 2 of my towers.I've never used these before.It seems the
> bracket gets clamped around the tower.Do you need to put a U clamp under the
> bracket so it can't slide down under force.

The bracket is the same bracket that *should* be used to attach the
normal guys.  With my 45G the only difference is the hardware that goes
into the ends of the brackets.
At each tower leg there is a shorter bracket that runs between the outer
pieces, but goes on the inside of the tower leg. These things are well
mounted and take the stress of the guys off the individual tower legs.

If you have a large wind load and the tower base is in concrete it
greatly reduces to torque down through the tower to the base. With the
tower set on a pier pin it reduced to pull due to rotation on each guy
line which again can be considerable when figuring the leverage between
the tower center and legs.  The longer torque arms reduce this
substantially.  OTOH most installations don't come near needing them.
>     It seems to me if you tighten the bolts up enough to keep it from
> sliding down you could "crush" the tower legs,if you don't tighten them
> enough the bracket could slide down the tower legs under pressure.

You're missing some parts. The short pieces that go inside the tower
between those outside brackets. Look at the drawing of the bracket in
the ROHN catalog.  it should show that angle bracket.
>     What am I missing??  Gregg K9KL    www.k9kl.com

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com