Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Challenged

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Challenged
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 22:29:27 -0400
Gene Smar wrote:
> Jeff:
>
>      I agree with Tom - don't use the chimney to mount any appreciable-sized
> antenna.  The chimney may look sturdy but mostly they are three sides of
> brick that are attached to the house with galvanized steel straps layed up
> between the mortar layers and nailed to the house walls.
A properly designed chimney is free standing with *no* attachment to the
house.  On a two story house with a chimney in the middle you can see
the roof move several inches in relation to the chimney on a windy day.
Don't depend on any aid from the house structure.  Attaching a chimney
to the structure would be very hard on the structure of the chimney as
it'd be holding the house on a windy day rather than the other way around.
>  A good wind blowing against a decent size antenna load above the roof could
> push this entire chimney assembly over onto the ground.  As others have
> suggested, a roof-top tower, properly tied into the roofing trusses, would be
> a much safer alternative.

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)