Re: [TowerTalk] sealing goop

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] sealing goop
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 23:04:39 +0100
Jeff Stevens wrote:
>On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 11:36 -0600, Roger N0VR wrote:
>> I like the reference to the goop-lined heat shrink. I've never heard of
>> that. Anyone have a favorite source for that stuff?
>
>I've used several boxes of Tech Tron branded adhesive lined heat shrink
>tubing.  I buy it from  a local electronics shop but found this online:
>
><http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/thescienceshop/the-2141/Heat-Shrin
>k-Tubing-Kits/Detail>
>
>It's advertised as the "Dual Wall Heat Shrink Kit".  In their
>description, they leave out the 6 pieced of 3/8" tubing included.
>
>If you do a google search, you'll come up with lots of other sources of
>adhesive lined heat shrink.  Mouser carries it.  Heat shrink is
>expensive enough and the adhesive lined stuff is even more so.  While I
>love it, I use it only when needed.

Even through the adhesive lined tubing is expensive, it still doesn't
contain enough adhesive for many sealing tasks.

Having tried it, I have gone back to applying my own hot-melt adhesive
from a glue gun, followed by plain unlined heat-shrink tubing while the
glue is still soft. That allows the right amount of adhesive to be
applied wherever it will do the most good for sealing and reinforcement.

A couple of examples:

* Apply a thick ring of hot-melt glue where a cable enters the rear of a
connector, and then apply plain heat-shrink. The glue fills the 'step'
between the connector body and the cable, making a solid, strong and
waterproof seal.

* This is by far the cheapest way to make strong and waterproof
Y-junctions. Inject plenty of hot-melt glue into the gap between the two
cables at the top of the "Y", and let the heat-shrink squeeze out the
excess. Once again, you'll have a very a strong, solid and waterproof
connection.

The final advantage of these materials is that  if you need to recover a
connector or open up a joint, they can easily be cut and peeled away
leaving a clean surface.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek