Re: [TowerTalk] Tashjian Towers

To: Lou Laderman <lladerman@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tashjian Towers
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 07:24:37 -0700
Lou Laderman wrote:
> The fellow is UST's retained engineer. When I asked UST about the wind load
> of my proposed antennas (not just 1 foot above the top of the tower, for
> which the towers are rated, but several stacked antennas, which will lower
> the load the tower can handle due to the greater wind load higher up the
> structure), they sent me to him. I offered to pay him his usual fee, but he
> said that doing initial calcs like this this is part of what he does for UST
> and he declined.

So the interaction is between you and UST (via one of their
employee/agents)..

> This is not a contract matter where I'm claiming breach or looking for a
> remedy. Rather, it's a serious lack of customer service to support sales on
> the front end.

Indeed.. I think that's the bigger issue, but I wanted to mention the
rules for (some) PEs..

> Emails can in fact constitute the offer/acceptance of contract formation. If
> a verbal exchange can form a contract, so can an email exchange. Unlike oral
> testimony, it's hard to deny what you typed in an email.

Sure... but it's possible that there are some other laws that require a
specific form of contract (for instance, the rules about minimum type
size on finance contracts).  Oral contracts for engineering services are
specifically forbidden in California (just like they aren't permitted
for construction work, real estate transactions, employment over a year,
etc.)