Re: [TowerTalk] masting

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] masting
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:19:32 -0700
Roger (K8RI) wrote:
> Gregg Seidl wrote:
>> Boy with all the talk about using fencing makes me get nervous!!Good high
>> grade masting ISN"T that expensive.What if you put that mast up and then
>>
> Expensive is relative, but I find structural steel tubing strong enough
> and far less costly than Drawn over Mandrel (DOM) tubing

Indeed.. the big difference is whether or not the inside surface is
smooth (and a slight asymmetry in strength).

If you were using the tubing for a drive shaft at high speed, or an
axle, where balance and equal stiffness in all directions is important,
then DOM is the way to go.

> If money were no issue I'd go with chromemoly steel.

Why not titanium? Sure, it's a bit pricey, but hey, it won't rust or
corrode, it's wicked strong, and no vandal with an ordinary hacksaw is
going to be able to cut it.  AND, most important, you'll get maximum
stud points here on TT.   (it does make a hideously bad vertical antenna
though.. )

<grin>

Jim W6RMK