[TowerTalk] Fwd: Strain releif for vertical coax

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Strain releif for vertical coax
From: HansLG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 22:47:44 EDT
Hi Michael,

Dave, K1TTT, gave me the advice to tape the coax to the tower legs. Just
plain, good, electric tape. You should, of course, us some flexible coax at the

point when you need the flexibility for the rotation of the antenna and that
has  to be movable, but the rest can just be taped in place. No, I wouldn't
recommend  you to have the coax hanging along the boom but tape it there to.
Naturally, you  should keep the tape tension "just right" so you don't make
indentations in the  coax.

A story has it that when they installed the coax for a TV transmitter in
Gothenburg, Sweden, they managed to put the cable clamps at just the right (or
wrong) distance that the combined reflections from all the clamps came back in
phase with a catastrophic result on the SWR. I don't know if the story is
right  but I am sure if you clamp or tape the coax you will not manage to see a

noticeable result on the SWR.

Good luck with your tower and antennas.

Hans, N2JFS