Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Strain releif for vertical coax

To: HansLG@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Strain releif for vertical coax
From: Rod Cunningham <theloft@activ8.net.au>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:30:42 +0930
HansLG@aol.com wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Dave, K1TTT, gave me the advice to tape the coax to the tower legs. Just
> plain, good, electric tape. You should, of course, us some flexible coax at
> the
> point when you need the flexibility for the rotation of the antenna and that
> has  to be movable, but the rest can just be taped in place. No, I wouldn't
> recommend  you to have the coax hanging along the boom but tape it there to.
> Naturally, you  should keep the tape tension "just right" so you don't make
> indentations in the  coax.
>
> A story has it that when they installed the coax for a TV transmitter in
> Gothenburg, Sweden, they managed to put the cable clamps at just the right
> (or
> wrong) distance that the combined reflections from all the clamps came back
> in
> phase with a catastrophic result on the SWR. I don't know if the story is
> right  but I am sure if you clamp or tape the coax you will not manage to see
> noticeable result on the SWR.
>
> Good luck with your tower and antennas.
>
> Hans, N2JFS
>

> ____________________________________

Regarding the fixing of feeder- our company installed a UHF TV  antenna
on a tower in Thailand about 400 feet high using 5 inch feeder. The
local riggers overtensioned the cable clamps on the cable runway up the
tower and the indentations in the feeder caused significant problems
with return loss. We loosened of the cable clamps - rotated the feeder
90 degrees and retensioned the clamps. The rotation and retensioning was
enough to restore the feeder to its normal shape and the return loss to
an acceptable figure. The moral of the story is- dont use unskilled and
unsupervised labour to run your feeders.

Rod (VK5UV)