[TowerTalk] Interactions btwn stacks and other antenna on same tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Interactions btwn stacks and other antenna on same tower
From: "Scott Dickson, W5WZ" <W5WZ@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 09:48:52 -0500
Thanks to all who have offered help both here and via direct correspondence
as I've planned and pondered my station build.

My tower and antenna project is moving along; we stacked 116' of Rohn 55G on
Saturday.  Guy wires are Phillystan, with 20 feet of EHS at the lower ends
to attach to the guy posts.  The next order of business is to mount the
antennae.  I have been planning for 2 years to install the 3 Force 12
antennae in a similar fashion to what W5IZ formerly had and what VE1JF
currently has.  Now I have acquired a KLM KT-34XA that I want to mount fixed
toward the Carribean/S.America.

I understand that the better solution would be monobanders, stacked to
optimize each band.  However, that is not currently possible, and thus is
not part of the question at this time.

As I have zero antenna modeling experience, MY QUESTION IS:

* * *What effect will the addition of the KT-34XA have at 14' below the
bottom antenna in the 3-high stack?  The bottom C51XR at 52' will be fixed
toward Europe, and the KT-34XA at 38' will be fixed toward Caribbean.

For further understanding:

My plans for antenna installation are:

Force 12 C-51XR at 118 feet, rotating on M2 2800 - Covers 10, 15, 20 & 40
meters

Force 12 C-31XR at 85 feet, fixed toward Japan - Covers 10, 15, & 20 meters

Force 12 C-51XR at 52 feet, fixed toward Europe - Covers 10, 15, 20 & 40
meters

KLM KT-34XA at 38 feet, fixed toward Caribbean - Covers 10, 15, & 20 meters

Antenna Switching will be accomplished via Array Solutions SixPack(s)

Antenna phasing/stacking will be accomplished via Array Solutions StackMatch
boxes

--3 antennas for 10, 15, 20 using the 3 Force 12 tribanders.  Because all
antenna will not rotate, my installation will initially provide for
upper-lower to Europe, and upper-middle to Japan.

--2 antenna for 40 meters, allowing for upper-lower to Europe, and upper
only to Japan

The KLM KT-34XA at 38 feet, fixed toward Caribbean will not be included in
any of the 4 stacked sets.

View my HFTA output graphs and terrain profiles at:

http://w5wz.com/main/page_terrain_profiles__hfta.html

To Europe

40 meter stack -- 2 over 2 at 118'/52'

20 meter stack -- 3 over 3 at 118'/52'

15 meter stack -- 4 over 4 at 118'/52'

10 meter stack -- 7 over 7 at 118'/52'

To Japan

40 meter stack -- 2 over 2 at 118'/85'

20 meter stack -- 3 over 3 at 118'/85'

15 meter stack -- 4 over 4 at 118'/85'

10 meter stack -- 7 over 7 at 118'/85'

To South America

40 meter -- 2 elements at 118'

20 meter -- 3 elements at 118' or 5 elements at 38'

15 meter -- 4 elements at 118' or 5 elements at 38'

10 meter -- 7 elements at 118' or 5 elements at 38'

--Scott Dickson, W5WZ

--Calhoun, Louisiana

--  www.W5WZ.com <http://www.w5wz.com/>

--Member of Louisiana Contest Club