Re: [TowerTalk] R7000

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] R7000
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:09:50 -0400
The R7000 is electrically 3/8 wavelength, with feedline decoupled by
a choke/capacitor
system.   The 'radial' whips are there for capacitance.

I had one up in Vermont, as a utility antenna, and had an opportunity
to compare it against
an elevated ground plane with 4 radials, on 40m.   The antennas were
300' apart, and at approximately
the same elevation.    The r7000 was fed through 300' of 9913, and
was mounted 10' above grade,
which was 100' above my house, on the back hill.

The ground plane was fed through 150' of rg213, and was hoisted up by
haliard from a 140'  pine.
The differences between the two antennas, on 40, were so small that
qsb more than swamped them out,
as I did the a/b switching.

The same r7000, down here in suburbia, is virtually useless, due to
power line noise pickup.

I would suspect that a buried ground plane beneath such an antenna
would have no impact, unless
the radial system extended out to the point of first-reflection, and
improved ground conductivity.

N2EA