Re: [TowerTalk] spark gap/ insulated tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] spark gap/ insulated tower
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 08:40:15 -0400
Todd wrote:

I recently erected an 80' base insulated Rohn  25G tower.  It is
guyed with
philystran cable.  I have been told that I should install a spark gap
at the
base insulators.  If this is the case, what should the gap be for such a
spark gap?  I currently have 2 brass straps 1.5" wide X 1/4" thick
from the
top and bottom of the insulators.  The gap is 3/16" wide.  Any advice is
greatly appreciated.  Todd,  WA7U
-0-

Todd,  it somewhat depends on the shape of your gap materials.
Broadcast towers have balls,  the spacing of which can be varied,
depending
on power levels involved.

3/16" may be just fine for you.   You don't want it arcing over at
full power, even when
it's raining.   But you want it spaced as closely as possible, beyond
that.
The arc-over situation will vary, depending on whether you have
pointed metal
to pointed metal, or to a flat plate, or other shape.

So, no simple answer will be correct.

N2EA