Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding with Polyphaser lightning arrestors

To: towertalk@contesting.com, draxfelton@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding with Polyphaser lightning arrestors
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 07:30:48 EDT

In a message dated 10/6/2008 9:11:29 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Should I install my Polyphaser lightning arrestors at the  bottom of the
tower or at the entry point where the coax enters the  house?

    One of the main reasons for lightning protection  is to keep the transients
out of the house/building so you want them installed  where the cables enter
the house.

    Commercial installations typically have coax  shield grounds at the bottom
of the tower where the cables transition  from vertical to horizontal as well.
Since your tower is so close to the  house, I'd put my efforts and money into
the building entry.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH