Re: [TowerTalk] "Sluggo" Ground Rod driver

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "Sluggo" Ground Rod driver
From: "Larry Burke" <wi5a@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 09:46:45 -0500

Rich didn't say they did, but just to be clear..... The ground rod driver
bit shown in the link will NOT fit the Harbor Freight hammer drills. I have
yet to be able to find one that would. The Harbor Freight drills use SDS
(not SDS Max) bits. What I ended up doing was taking one of the fat concrete
chipper bits that came with the hammer drill and cutting off the tip with an
angle grinder. I then slipped a piece of heater hose over the bit, extending
it about 4 inches beyond the end of the tip,  and held it in place with a
hose clamp. The heater hose does a fair job of keeping the ground rod from
slipping off the modified hammer drill bit. This setup is not as elegant as
a commercial bit, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the SDS Max bits,
which don't fit the drill anyway.

Larry K5RK