Re: [TowerTalk] Using old coax for ground wire

To: Scott McClements <kc2pih@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using old coax for ground wire
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 01:10:04 -0400
I don't think that is a good plan at all. That is not the right
tool for the job, and the braid on the coaxial stranded and far
too wimpy for the job. Why are you cutting corners on such
an important thing as grounding?

Many instructions for towers and antennas say not to
use braided or stranded wire, but only use thick, solid,
copper wire.

Example:

Rohn Products LLC R-AGK1G 1 Year  Kit includes
3 - 8' copper ground rods, 3 ground rod clamps & 45'
No. 4 tinned copper ground wire.       30.00

So... number 4 gauge solid copper wire, and only $30.
That coax braid hardly matches up to this does it?

Please do your self a big favor and spend a penny to
get a high quality commercially manufactured grounding kit
for your tower.   Your family's safety is way too important.

Use that old scrap wire for ground radials on a vertical antenna,
but not to ground for lightning or electrical safety.

Just my take.

Happy trails and 73.    ----  Richards - K8JHR ----