Re: [TowerTalk] Dorm room antenna?

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dorm room antenna?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 08:29:09 -0700
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:35:54 -0400, Greg Davis wrote:

>At first I was thinking about
>trying an end fed sloper to a tree about 30 feet diagonally out from
>my window, but I am not sure how well that would work out since I
>don't have anything to ground it to up here.

A sloper should work fine. You don't need a GROUND, but you do need a
counterpoise. If your dorm has a steel frame, or if there's other large
continuous metal, that would work quite well. If you don't have that,
you could form a counterpoise with another length of wire running in a
different direction.

>I am wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on an ultra
>simple antenna (no matchboxes, etc. required hopefully

Unless you carefully tune the length of the antenna to resonance and the
resistance at resonance is close to 50 ohms, you WILL need an antenna
tuner. Many modern rigs have a built-in tuner that should work well
enough if you find a suitable length of wire.

73,

Jim K9YC