Re: [TowerTalk] Dorm room antenna?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dorm room antenna?
From: Kimberly Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 09:54:58 -0700 (PDT)
I did this once while I was in the dorms (11th floor). I drilled a small hole
in a window frame and ran a coupld of hundred feet of small (22 ga) copperweld
to a tree. I g8tnded it to whatever I could find and used a tuner. I also used
no ore than 5 W output. I made a few some contacts and worked abot of DX.

If you use an end-fec wire, you'll need a tuner. If you have no other option,
try using a 1/4 counterpoise strung around yoru room for a ground, but as
someone else pointed out, water pipes are good is they are copper (many are now
plastic). Be aware that even at QRP levels, you may have trouble tripping all
the GFIs in the building, especially if you wind up coupling to the AC gound
system.

Kim Elmore, N5OP