[TowerTalk] SO-239 Problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SO-239 Problem
From: "Paul Sturpe" <sturpe@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 23:04:10 -0400
BACKGROUND:  I have had several instances where a PL-259 loses contact with
an SO-239.  I am told the problem occurs when a PL-259 is improperly
prepared, leaving extra solder on the pin, thus making it oversized.   Once
inserted into the SO-239 the center female connector expands.  Then when a
properly prepared PL-259 is inserted into the same SO-239, the center pin
connection is not snug enough to maintain proper contact because the SO-239
center female contact never returns to its original size.

QUESTIONS:  Is there a way to repair a damaged SO-239 or once damaged, does
it need to be replaced?  Are there SO-239s that are more tolerant to being
oversized, i.e. certain brands?  Are there any simple ways to check for the
proper size of the PL-259 before inserting it into an SO-239?  Are there any
tricks to make the mating of the PL-259 and SO-239 less susceptible to the
phenomenon I am describing?

Paul, W3GQ