Re: [TowerTalk] MA550

To: towertalk@contesting.com, rnbuswell@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MA550
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:19:16 EDT

In a message dated 10/29/2008 7:07:32 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I just obtained a used MA550 self supporting, crankup  tower.? It's 10
years old and never been used.? I'm thinking I should change  the cable before
putting it up so I called US Tower to ask for cable  replacement instructions.?
However, they refused citing liability issues.?  They will however sell a
replacement cable for $213.00.

    First, tower manufacturers are insurance-driven  enterprises. They're not
about to give you any real information because of  liability exposure issues.

    There are 3 reasons why you'd need to replace  your cables. 1: Excessive
broken strands (around 6-8 as I recall). 2: Damage -  flattened or kinked. 3:
Rust - real rust, not surface rust. I suspect that  your cables probably don't
need replacing.

    If you really want to, the tower has to be  horizontal and you have to
extend the tower fully to start re-cabling it. I  understand it's not a bad job
- pretty straightforward.

    There isn't much in the way of PM that you can  do. You can lubricate the
exposed cable once or twice a year and that'll be  good.

    I've always thought that these are aesthetically  nice towers.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH

Cheers & GL,