[TowerTalk] Guyed "Crank-Up"/"Self-Supporting" Towers

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guyed "Crank-Up"/"Self-Supporting" Towers
From: Jerry K <w5kp@hughes.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 16:59:22 -0600
I've been following this lively subject with interest, especially the
alternate back-and-forth interchanging and confusing of the two (to me)
completely different terms "crank-up" and "self-supporting". To me, a
crank-up tower is just exactly that. Conversely, a self-supporting tower
is one that is permanently stacked in sections and intended to be used
without guys (although there might be some cases where guys are
allowed), and cannot be "cranked".

At any rate, I saw several people mention they had never seen an example
of a manufacturer recommending guys for either of these types of tower.
I submit that at least Tri-Ex did, for at least the T-Series crank-ups.

I purchased a new Tri-Ex T-327K crank-up tower in Hawaii in 1969 (27'
fully extended, 10' sections) from Honolulu Electronics. Guys were
required. Tri-Ex sold these "T Series" towers in models/sizes from 18'
to 88'. A copy of six pages of the 1971 Tri-Ex catalog which included my
little 27-footer is here.
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/picker77/sets/72157608744386459/>

Note that in the catalog/brochure is a photo of one of the larger
T-Series towers installed, showing LOTS of guys. Sorry about the photo
sizes, which will affect resolution--they are what they are, but maybe
by clicking on the "All Sizes" button in Flickr (which will show the
largest size available) you will be able to read them on your monitor.

73, Jerry W5KP