Re: [TowerTalk] Guyed "Crank-Up"/"Self-Supporting" Towers

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guyed "Crank-Up"/"Self-Supporting" Towers
From: Jerry K <w5kp@hughes.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 20:13:46 -0600
That was nearly 40 years ago, and I don't remember much about the
cabling. I do remember it had what looked to be a simple galvanized boat
winch. I didn't use the optional "GAYE" system. I used one set of
galvanized steel clothesline wire guys, probably 10 gauge. I didn't
climb it, either. It was erected close beside the edge of the
low-pitched roof of my single story house, and I simply lowered the
tower, climbed a ladder onto the roof, and walked over to the then
shoulder-high TA-33. Driving it was a whopping 400W PEP from my first
transceiver, a trusty Swan 350. Back then, working Hawaii from the East
Coast was big deal, so as KH6GQC at the time, I was legitimate DX for
East Coast WAS hunters. It made for a lot of fun. I also occasionally
worked traffic skeds with Tom Christian (Fletcher Christian's
descendant) on Pitcairn Island, and talked regularly with Father Moran,
9N1MM in Nepal, so it was a pretty decent DX setup, however minimal it
would be in today's terms.

The tower was dirt simple and worked fine, kind of like the 2-1/2 ton
'51 Merc that was my first car in high school. I'll bet somebody out
there is still using both of them.

Note the specs say ALL cables are 1/8" regardless of tower height, which
might give some people pause today for an 88' crankup! :)
Jerry W5KP