Re: [TowerTalk] TH6 into a TH7?

To: "Tom Haavisto" <kamham69@gmail.com>, "Bill" <bill_fries@mail.ncats.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TH6 into a TH7?
From: "Robert" <rgshauger@myyellowstone.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:33:24 -0800
I used the TH-6 antenna for many years and was very pleased with it in every
way.  It has been said that the TH-6 was probably the best tri-bander ever
made in its time.

I do have a four page paper called the "TH7 Engineering Report" issued by
Telex Communications in the 80's.  The report makes a direct comparison
between the TH-7 and the TH-6 as measured on the Hy-Gain antenna test range.

The report outlines the differences between the two antennas in power gain,
one half power beamwidth, front to back ratio and 2:1 VSWR bandwidth among
other things.  For an example:

   The average power gain increase of the TH-7 vs TH-6 is stated to be:

+0.3db for 20m
+1.4db for 15m
+1.7db for 10m

   The front to back ratio increase of the TH-7 vs TH-6 is:

+4.0db for 20m
+5.8db for 15m
+0.0db for 10m

   2:1 VSWR bandwidth of the TH-7 vs (TH-6):

440 (250) for 20m
460 (380) for 15m
1710 (870) for 10m

What value one places on the refinements of the TH-7 is up to potential user
to decide.

As far as the Hy-Gain 204BA, I am sure you are probably aware that there are
modified element spacings and element lengths to make that a better
performing antenna.

Good luck!

73 de W7KD