Re: [TowerTalk] wire antenna question

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] wire antenna question
From: Blair S Balden <blair.balden@wmich.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:45:40 -0500
Well, I suppose my understanding was not quite right.  I had assumed that, if
you could get the load impedance to a value of 50 ohms (when using 50-ohm
coax), you would get a 1:1 SWR.  I thought this is how antenna tuners and
matching networks worked, by inserting the appropriate amount and type of
reactance to arrive at 50 ohms, or as close to it as possible.

I had reasoned that if my resonant dipole had an impedance of less than 50
ohms, with the resulting SWR, I could reduce the SWR by changing the length,
thereby "unbalancing" the reactive component and raising the total impedance to
50 ohms.

Apparently, I need to study this further.

Thanks to all who commented.

73,
Blair NP2F