Re: [TowerTalk] Preventing tic ring motor from freezing

To: <w3ea@hotmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Preventing tic ring motor from freezing
From: Howard Klein <k2hk@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 22:01:37 +0000
Wayne,
Thank you for your suggestions. The rotor is the 1048D. Abut 3 years old. The
pot resistance measurements do not vary with temperature. More likely
mechanical in the area of the motor interface to the ring. I allowed it to
stall for  several minutes a couple of times, probably not a good idea, and
when it heated up enough it turned.
Howard
HK

From: w3ea@hotmail.comTo: k2hk@arrl.net; towertalk@contesting.comSubject: RE:
[TowerTalk] Preventing tic ring motor from freezingDate: Mon, 24 Nov 2008
16:27:36 -0500

Hi  Not sure which model or revision you have but assume it's the older
aluminum box encased motor unit.The ring rotor is a basic electro/mechanical
unit and it's weak line is it's positioning " POT"  there are two I call them
the black ones and the blue one's . The blue ones are the latter and less
susceptible to moisture invasion compared to the black ones, both are the weak
links in a EMF strike but that's another story. The " failure FREEZE "
indicates to me Moisture  there are no relays in the unit only the "POT"remove
the wires from the in shack control box ( when it's frozen up ) #4 is CW #6 is
CCW  and #5 is the wiperThe pots is 500 OHM  so a simple wire wring out OHM
check between #4,#5,#6 will determine if it is in fact your thermal failure.
Carl usually has replacements POTS.    Wayne W3EA   > From: k2hk@arrl.net> To:
towertalk@contesting.com> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:51:33 +0000> Subject:
[TowerTalk] Preventing tic ring motor from freezing> > > I need some idea
 s for preventing my Tic Ring motor from freezing. For the past three years
every time the temperature falls below freezing my Tic Ring stops working.
Other times it works perfectly. Maybe I got the tropical version :-). I don't
believe it is associated with water entering. It is sealed and this occurs even
when the WX has been dry for days. Carl says there is no grease inside. In any
case I was thinking of some type of heating strip used for gutters or similiar.
This poses the problem of thermostat and supply voltage problems. > It has
become a fairly accurate way of knowing the temperature...32 F stops working,
33 F works FB. Any ideas?> Howard..K2HK> > > > HK>

Access your email online and on the go with Windows Live Hotmail. Sign up today.