Re: [TowerTalk] NOT ALL PLASTICS ARE GOOD INSULATORS - TALE OFABEVERAGE

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] NOT ALL PLASTICS ARE GOOD INSULATORS - TALE OFABEVERAGE PROBLEM
From: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 20:51:38 -0500

> We discovered  that the boxes were actually designed to store electronic
> components. There are black ones and red ones. The black ones were designed
> to be conductive to prevent eletrostatic charge problems with sensitive
> components. We checked the red ones and found that they had the normal
> insulating properties of plastic.

It's not only boxes.

I built a resonant transformer arrangement to couple 4MHz ultrasound signals
onto my rotating Ph.D. experiment:

http://n3ox.net/files/us_ring.jpg

The setup is essentially a pair of magnetic loop antennas tightly coupled
together.  I discovered (fortunately sooner rather than later) that the
black rubber on the clamps that hold the lower ring to the fiberglass disc
in the picture was conductive.

Not a problem as shown there, but originally there were two clamps back to
back holding the ends of the lower ring, with probably just a few tens of
ohms between them.   They're clearly designed to be static dissipative.

Fortunately, this wasn't a high power system and I found the problem
quickly, but I've learned my lesson about not assuming good dielectric
properties of all polymers ;-)

73,
Dan