Re: [TowerTalk] NOT ALL PLASTICS ARE GOOD INSULATORS - TALE OFABEVERAGE

To: Dan Zimmerman N3OX <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] NOT ALL PLASTICS ARE GOOD INSULATORS - TALE OFABEVERAGE PROBLEM
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 18:02:46 -0800
Dan Zimmerman N3OX wrote:
>> We discovered  that the boxes were actually designed to store electronic
>> components. There are black ones and red ones. The black ones were designed
>> to be conductive to prevent eletrostatic charge problems with sensitive
>> components. We checked the red ones and found that they had the normal
>> insulating properties of plastic.
>

> It's not only boxes.
>
> I built a resonant transformer arrangement to couple 4MHz ultrasound signals
> onto my rotating Ph.D. experiment:

And folks winding tesla coil secondaries onto ABS DWV (sewer) pipe..
(double whammy there.. carbon black pigment AND the pipe is actually
foam with a skin on the inside and outside, so it breaks down inside the
pipe wall)

or using cheap ABS DWV pipe as the support for a Van deGraaff generator,
and wondering why it never seems to build up any charge.