[TowerTalk] PL-259 Going Open?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] PL-259 Going Open?
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 19:43:21 -0600
I'm not sure Towertalk is the right forum, but here goes:

I'm using PL-259s outside to connect transmission lines (Belden 9913)
that run up the tower to my antennas to the underground lines that
run to the shack.  Obviously, the PL-259s are connected through a
barrel connector (which has a number designation I've forgotten).
Everything is Amphenol and I've soldered more PL-250s than I can
count, all with an American Beauty 100 W iron.

Twice I have experienced one of the PL-259s becoming open. These have
been outside for about two years and I live in Oklahoma, so while we
see about 35" per yrar of rain, it tends to come in good sized
amounts with extended dry periods in between. Disconnecting and
reconnection doesn't affect the problem and bending around the
transmission line has no effect: I have to actually re-solder the connectors.

This has happened only to my HF transmission lines: there's no
problem (so far) with my VHF/UHF lines. There is no warning and no
prior symptoms. Using a tuner, I can sometimes of feed a little power
to the system and see things change with 100 W power applied but the
match is unstable and nothing ever becomes normal. The connectors are
exposed and are not sealed with any sort of tape or flooded shrink
tubing. When I look at them, the solder still looks good, but to
reestablish connectivity I must re-solder them.

I'm currently planning to replace connectors exposed to weather with
N-connectors, but I've never seen this before, even though I've had
connectors outside before that have lasted for many years with no
problems. Has anybody else experienced this?

Kim Elmore, N5OP