Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi Impedance

To: john@kk9a.com, TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi Impedance
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 13:16:59 EST
John,
I have built a number of antennas from 7MHz to 432MHz using YO and find the
same impedance shift you mention. Apparently the algorithms don't accurately
deal with this issue even though patterns and other aspects of the design do
model very closely with the finished antenna.

If you go through the series to parallel conversions involved with hair pin
matches, you will find that the longer hairpin is consistent with expected
results. A longer hairpin suggests higher inductive reactance with resulting
lower current flow at a given power level. Lower current would imply lower
losses which is a good thing but we are splitting hairs on that.

I see no down side for a longer hairpin (other than needing more aluminum
and that is good!) ; maybe someone else does.

73,
Gerald K5GW
Gen Mgr/Texas Towers

In a message dated 1/1/2009 10:25:42 A.M. Central Standard Time,