Re: [TowerTalk] RF Voltage at AM Tower Base

To: donmar1234@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RF Voltage at AM Tower Base
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 21:33:45 -0800
donmar1234@aol.com wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 21:31:58 -0800
> From: Patrick Barthelow <apolloeme@live.com>
> Subject: [TowerTalk] RF RadHaz safety
> To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
>

> Relative to the pictures of KGO AM 810 TX antennas, referenced in an
> earlier post, Some (all) of us who visited KGO, very much respected
> the danger of touching the bare copper feed conductors going
> to the base of each tower that were in easy hand reach.

> Regarding the first part of your question, a fence must be maintained
> around the base of a series-fed AM radio tower to prevent a shock hazard to
> the public
> per FCC Rule 47 C.F.R. 73.49.  When tower maintenance is required, the
> station(s) involved
> are required to lower their power to a safe RFR (radiofrequency
> radiation)level
> per 47 C.F.R. 1.1310.  You don't have to feel the burn to be in danger!

Google for the fascinating story in the FCC enforcement stuff about the
guy who was up the tower in Colorado when the guy in the studio remotely
boosted the power up because of complaints from the drive-time listeners
that they couldn't hear the station.  After the tower worker's
protective clothing started smoking, he rapidly descended.  I imagine he
had some words with the ground crew and station management as well.

I think the NAL was issued in early 2005.  There's probably a link in
the towertalk archives.