Re: [TowerTalk] Old Safety Belt

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Old Safety Belt
From: "Kenneth R. Goodwin, Jr." <krgoodwin@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 02:00:05 -0600
In the climbing game, any harness older than 5 years old is
automatically thrown away whether it has been used or not. This
specifically applies to webbing but should convey the thought that
there is a finite life to climbing belts especially those that use webbing.

The W2ONV belts break one of the cardinal rules of climbing towers
that one should ALWAYS be 'clipped in' (attached to the tower).  The
ONV belt can only be used as a positioning/fall restraint lanyard but
then only if it is attached to the tower at all times.  Being tied in
at all times with these 'safety belts' rarely happens except at the
final work location on the tower.  This 'safety belt' has no means to
be used as a fall arrest device and doesn't provide full time
protection.  With a 3 foot rope lanyard, you have to unclip sometime
to move up or down the tower.

Go purchase a full body harness along with some gorilla hooks on a
shock absorbing lanyard and stay clipped in at all times.  I
personally feel that the advertising and selling of these 'safety
belts' should not be allowed since it conveys the thought to the
amateur radio operator that this is all one needs to climb a
tower.  I know that is what I believed when I purchased my ONV safety
belt.  After all it was advertised in all of the radio magazines and
they wouldn't lead me astray would they??

73,  Ken K5RG