[TowerTalk] Belden 9913 concerns

To: "TOWERTALK" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Belden 9913 concerns
From: "Brad Anbro" <n9en@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 11:58:20 -0000
Hello all,

I'm back on Towertalk after an extended absence. A year
or so ago, I bought a 500' spool of Belden 9913 (not the
flexible type) and it has been sitting in my basement, with
the plastic shrink-wrap still on it.

I originally bought this coax to install in an underground
PVC conduit that runs from the house to a tower in the
"side yard" but have heard some "horror stories" in regards
to the use of this coax.

I have heard that this coax will pick up moisture just by
sitting around (as in my case), which renders the coax
useless. I did run a dehumidifier in the summer in my
basement but I'm sure the humidity level was not all
that low.

Also, now that I think about it, I'm having second thoughts
about installing it in my underground PVC conduit, as
there will be moisture (standing water) in parts of the con-
duit, as there always is in conduits that run underground.

I have provided some PVC boxes for water drainage in the
conduit system and all of the conduit fittings are also PVC.
I'm quite confident that I can install the coax in the con-
duit without nicking the jacket but I'm still concerned about
this proposed installation.

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

73 de Brad, N9EN