Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator specs? - Tnx!

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator specs? - Tnx!
From: Chris Pedder <chris@g3vbl.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 18:44:39 +0700
While we should, perhaps, be flattered that the colonies cling to Imperial
units this does cause problems when we cannot agree on what constitutes a
ton or a gallon. Having been brought up with lb. wt., poundals, btus and the
like, as a mathematician I should be reluctant to go back to those units for
any scientific/engineering work.
Things started to move on more than 50 years ago; cgs, mks, rationalised
MKS(Giorgi) and finally SI. (with, probably, various others that I've missed
out) Why one country, albeit a pretty important one, should insist on
continuing to use an inferior system is beyond me. The confusion that exists
between mass and force is, in itself, sufficient reason to move on.

On the other hand in everyday life, I should be reluctant to lose mpg and
move to litres/100Km though increasingly fuel consumption figures for cars
are given in metric units.

While this is (slightly) tongue in cheek, there is a serious issue here.

Chris G3VBL  (in Northern Thailand where they use metric units.... but drive
on the left)