Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas and Property Value responsa

To: Michael Ryan <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas and Property Value responsa
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 21:31:59 -0800
Michael Ryan wrote:
> Ken, Having two licenses would not be a CONFLICT of INTEREST in an of
> itself.  That's a pretty broad statement you've made here. If there is a
> transaction in which a licensed or multi licensed individual is involved,
> where his expertise or performances is called into play and where he may be
> asked to call on his expertise in his other profession, he must be careful,
> and at the very least DISCLOSE to all concerned his dual nature. A conflict
> would not occur unless that person is engaged in a transacition performing
> BOTH the duties he is licensed to perform.  In that case he is BOUND to
> disclose and in such a case it is prudent to avoid any suggestion of
> impropriety, in decling one or even BOTH sides of or involvement in the
> transaction. But just having two licenses would not be a conflict of
> interest.     - Mike, K4CVL

"bound to disclose"?
Not necessarily. It might be ethical to disclose, but it might not be
legally required. This is one of those caveat emptor things that
provides ample employment for attorneys.  For instance, NAR might
require certain ethics of a REALTOR(R), but if you don't follow their
rules, the worst they can do is throw you out of the organization (and
maybe fine you, but they'd probably have to sue to collect...).. that
is, it's not "illegal" to not follow NAR's ethics rules.

However, for some licensed professions, it is actually illegal to do
unethical things (e.g. it's not only unethical, but illegal for me to do
engineering work for which I am not competent or qualified).