Re: [TowerTalk] 43' verticals

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 43' verticals
From: Dan Zimmerman N3OX <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:25:06 -0500

> I'll nominate N7JW as an array expert, and he uses 57 foot high
> verticals for his big 160 meter array on 160 acres.  It has a lot of gain
> but is VERY narrow band.

Darn, knew I should have looked it up.

OK, I was off by 13 feet ;-)

And those antennas are resonant T verticals, almost completely top loaded
except for a little tweaking inductance at the base, and they seem to be
over a massive radial field.

Compromise on any of that and you're going to start shedding gain.

It still fits my suggestion that you ought to use elements that are nearly
as good on their own as they can possibly be :-)

73
Dan