Re: [TowerTalk] 43' verticals

To: Dan Zimmerman N3OX <n3ox@n3ox.net>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 43' verticals
From: Joe Reisert <Joe@Reisert.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 17:05:02 -0500
Dan etal,

I haven't been following this thread closely so pardon me if I repeat
something. This note is specifically aimed at 160 meters.

The 43 foot vertical is probably OK on 160 if you have a good radials
system and a low loss tuner right at the base of the vertical.

I have used the Cushcraft MAV-160 and tested it pretty thoroughly. My
first one I gave to PJ5NA and if any of you are 160 people, you'll
know the Jim has a reasonable signal on 160 without high power.

The MAV-160 as per the Cushcraft instruction manual is not very
efficient but does work. Using their recommended radial system using
only 400 feet of wire does in fact give a reasonable VSWR leading one
to think all is OK but it's not efficient.

I had an 80 meter radial system that I use for tests comprised of
about 30 65 foot radials. I mounted my first MAV-160 over it and the
VSWR was pretty poor. I think the measured impedance was about 20
Ohms. The improved radial system lowered the losses. However it
worked fine albeit a high VSWR. Next I placed a shunt inductor across
the feed of about 7 microhenries wound on a PVC tube, slightly
readjusted the top whip for resonance at about 1.820 MHz and voila,
1:1 VSWR with a reasonable bandwidth. My bet is that 30 radials about
30 feet long would still do fine.

How did it work? I worked lots of DX with it. Many stations gave me
comparisons. The worst report was 4 dB below my 70 foot top loaded
tower with 32 foot 1/4 WL radials. Most of the time there was only a
slight drop below my normal antenna and on several occasions I worked
through Pacific DX pileups without realizing I had the MAV-160 on
line instead of the tower!

Now it's not necessarily the recommended best 160 meter DX antenna
but for those of modest means or small lots and 25-30 foot radials as
long as possible, it's surely a good bet to get you on the band and
be able to work DX.  The price is now higher than when they were
first announced but still not a bad deal.

73,

Joe, W1JR