Re: [TowerTalk] cage dipole

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cage dipole
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 07:38:28 -0600
 It appears that we have gone from sublime to the ridiculous on this
discussion. However before we "CAGE" the discussion, I have a question.

My Motorhome has an aluminum ladder on the rear. This ladder is about 8 ft
tall and I use it for an antenna. I removed the center connecting pieces and
installed PVC to insulate the two sections. I installed a loading coil in
the center. This antenna works very well on HF bands using a small antenna
tuner.

Since this antenna has parallel bars connected by the ladder rungs, can I
call this a vertical mini "Cage" dipole. I feed it with coax instead of
'ladder' line. I haven't checked it, but I don't think I'm getting 12 db
gain. However, it does have a good wind loading factor, and does not sway
going around corners.

   * 73's Jim W5IFP *