Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzer Suggestions Solicited

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzer Suggestions Solicited
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 20:47:38 -0800
Jim Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 22:20:41 +0000, RICHARD SOLOMON wrote:
>
>> The AIM 4170 is nice, BUT,
>> hauling around a PC to use it is a major drawback.
>
> Dick,
>
> I'd give alternate advice. You already own a good unit that you can
> drag up to the top of a tower. I have one too. Keep it for that
> purpose. Buy the N2PK unit (best),

N2PK is only available as a kit (otherwise I'd have one)..

  the AIM 4170, or the Ten Tec TAPR
> VNA (which I also own) and use it for more robust impedance
> measurements, filter response measurements, etc. You will appreciate
> the difference.

I heartily agree

> It is important to realize that NONE of these will measure a multi-
> turn ferrite choke correctly (in fact, they will give you VERY wrong
> answers). But they are quite useful for their intended purpose -- as
> ANTENNA analyzers. The TAPR and the N2PK have the added function of
> being a vector network analyzer.

Hmmm. just how much error would you get from measuring a choke (compared
to, say, a Agilent VNA).. how much is that from "fixture" issues.  The
dynamic range is pretty good on the TenTec TAPR box (not what the state
of the art Agilent boxes do, but probably comparable to an 8510-ish system)

Jim