Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzer Suggestions Solicited

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzer Suggestions Solicited
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 21:48:05 -0800
On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 20:47:38 -0800, jimlux wrote:

>Hmmm. just how much error would you get from measuring a choke (compared
>to, say, a Agilent VNA).. how much is that from "fixture" issues.  The
>dynamic range is pretty good on the TenTec TAPR box (not what the state
>of the art Agilent boxes do, but probably comparable to an 8510-ish system)

>From my experience, quite a bit with a high impedance choke (in the 5K ohms
range). That's AWFULLY far from 50 ohms. Now, a VNA could be made to work
putting the choke in series between the two ports, but my TAPR doesn't get
anywhere near that either.  I DID get good data doing that with an HP VNA
that K6TD has.

How much? With a choke like 14 turns on a #61 toroid, the resonant frequency
can be wrong by a factor of 2:1.

73,

Jim K9YC