Re: [TowerTalk] Pinning my mast in rotator clamp

To: "mrlogs" <mrlogs@verizon.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pinning my mast in rotator clamp
From: "Dave Johnson" <djohnson@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 22:40:34 -0400
I would say that it depends on how much wind load you will have attached to
the rotor mast or how long your antenna boom is.  If you have one antenna
with a boom of 30' or less you would likely never have a problem.  However,
with long boom antennas, it is a pain in the you know where when you must
climb the tower and move the antenna back where it was after a strong wind.
I had a friend that had a KLM 20 meter Big Stick with a 60' long boom.  He
had a bolt through the rotor and mast but that antenna kept shearing off the
bolt.  It never damaged the rotor.  When he moved, I took his antenna and
tower down.  When I took the mast out of the rotor, a hand full of broken
bolts came out of the mast.

If you decide to drill the mast, put it in the rotor and drill one side then
move the drill to the other side and drill again.  Don't try to drill all
the way through both halves of the mast from the same side.

73,  Dave - K4SSU