Re: [TowerTalk] 75/80 vertical

To: donovanf@starpower.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 75/80 vertical
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 14:55:41 -0400
okay tower talk fans -- I am new at this, but considering a similar project.

1.      Rather than run a a second, separate wire all the way  parallel to
the tower, which would, I believe, if I learned my electrical theory
correctly, have a different resistance than the tower itself, more or
less, I don't know -- but still it seems that some knowledge of parallel
circuits and parallel resisters should be applied before you do that.
It seems to me the current will go the line of least resistance.
Either the Tower or the wire would be more or less redundant or ignored.

2.      I would think, therefore, based on the above, it would be better to
use short stainless steel jumpers to bridge the tower section linkages.
  That would make sure the connection is complete, and make sure that
power, itself, is doing the conducting.

3.      Could one use his multimeter to check for continuity and good
conductivity before messing with any of this?  I won a multimeter at the
Dayton Hamvention last year, and I'm still learning how to use it, but
it seems like one of those could test for good conductivity.