Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 12:03:26 -0500
AA5JG wrote: I was looking at a recent issue of CQ at the local
bookstore tonight (it wasn't the April issue) and in a column dealing
with semi stealth antennas, they mentioned that a 3/8 or 1/2 vertical
will show comparable performance to a 2 element yagi.  Is this true?

In general, no.  But it depends on the height of the Yagi.  A Yagi on
the ground doesn't work very well. Also a 3/8 or 1/2 wave vertical won't
show any gain over a quarter wave vertical unless it has a much larger
radial system (although the take-off angle will be lower).

Considering the trade-offs, the rule for my station is vertical antennas
for 160, horizontal antennas for 40 and up.  80 meters is a crossover
point where either may be used.

HOWEVER, there is one thing I have been curious about for a while, and
that is the apparent superiority of a vertical to a horizontal antenna
on 160.  Almost all the serious DXers on 160 use verticals, but those
that also have very high horizontal antennas report that they don't
compare well.

W8JI said:  "I virtually never use the high dipole /(the 300ft one)/.
The 220 foot vertical or the 1/4 wave verticals beat it at almost any
distance, close or far. Only on very rare occasions is the 300 foot high
dipole equal or better at ANY distance. "
-end quote

This is not verifiable with EZNEC, but I do trust Tom's judgment at
evaluating antennas.  EZNEC says the high dipole should be better at all
distances (in the dipoles best direction).

Also I was expecting that the 3 element 160 Yagi of OH0X to be louder
than it is.  It doesn't seem much louder that the other OH stations.  It
puts out a good signal but I'll bet a four square would give it a run
for the money (just a feeling).  Of course EZNEC would not agree to
that.  EZNEC shows the Yagi should win by a bunch of dBs.

160 is a strange band in many ways.  This seems to be another one.  Any
thoughts?

Jerry, K4SAV